Pages

Monday 21 April 2014

SMS (Save My Skin)

It's been a stressful few months recently (which is my excuse for the lack of blogging!) and it has begun to really reflect on my skin. I find myself rubbing at my face all day in work with the result that by lunch time I look more mismatched than a patchwork quilt. Added to the fingerprint smudges, my face is also becoming more drier which accentuates the whole dishevelled look that personally, I'm not really a fan of. The other day I decided something had to give before my coworkers start thinking that I'm coming in following a 9 hour bender so I decided to ditch the powder and find myself some new basics.


No7 Instant Illusions Radiance Balm

As my regulars may know,  I have been an avid fan and supporter of Smashbox's hydrating primer for a number of years (see this post for details) but as a treat for myself over Easter weekend I decided to branch out and trial something different so I opted for No7 Instant Illusions Radiance Balm.


My only criticism of the Smashbox primer was that it was a little watery, which I felt may be contributing to the patchiness - especially given the rush in which my makeup gets done some mornings mean I don't always give it the drying time it deserves. The No7 balm is slightly thicker with the texture of a moisturiser and has a lovely glow to it. After 30 seconds the face feels almost smooth and prepped for foundation.




Smashbox Studio Skin foundation

The decision to change my foundation (I have regularly used Dior Forever for a couple of years now) was based on a desire to find something more long-lasting in an effort to ditch the patchy/dryness I have been experiencing. After browsing some reviews and chatting to a few fellow bloggers I decided to try out Smashbox's Studio Skin foundation. This won based on the fact it claims to last for 15 hours and, mainly, because it is an oil free formula. I mentioned above that I had already decided to ditch powder as when this mixes with certain foundations that do contain oil the result is cake looking makeup - however given that my bronzer and blushes are powder based I thought it wouldn't hurt!

True to it's description this has to be one of the most hardworking foundations I've tried for a while. The formula is again, quite thick but it doesn't actually feel heavy on the skin to my pleasant surprise. With the Dior foundation, I applied this with a stippling brush however the bristles on my small Mac tool are not dense enough for the Smashbox to work efficiently and so I have reverted to using a more traditional flat foundation brush (I think sponges would also give a really nice finish). In terms of coverage just look at the before and after pictures below! This is purely the foundation - no concealer or powder have been applied.






I applied the Smashbox over my new primer at 7am, and at 9pm my skin looked just as good as when I had left the house which was a massive massive plus - it's rare to find a product that lives up to it's claims especially when trialled by a serial fidget!

All in all, my experiment wasn't very scientific in that I don't know whether it was the primer, foundation or lack of powder that has revitalised my makeup but I'm certainly very pleased with the change! Whether the foundation continues to please will depend upon its performance when summer arrives, I fear it might be a bit thick for hot summer sun but I would definitely consider it again in the summer.

Definitely a good find!
Carly x


1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, I appreciate and reply to all comments 💕