Pages

Wednesday 14 August 2013

Makeup brushes deserve some TLC

When it comes to makeup, it doesn’t matter whether you use Armani or Asda’s own but if the tools you apply it with aren’t receiving regular TLC your makeup will suffer for it. One of the most important things you can do to keep your makeup (and skin) looking fresh and dewy is to regularly wash your brushes. Sounds simple, but when my friends caught me at the kitchen sink with a basin full of brushes they couldn’t understand what I was doing or why and I was shocked that they didn’t do this – believe me they got a lecture!

As girls we regularly suffer from spots (or congested pores as I like to call them) and the bacteria found within them can easily be spread to other areas of the face through the use of makeup brushes. Even if you are lucky enough to not get spots, there is a ton of bacteria living on our skin not to mention natural oils that our pores secrete and if makeup brushes aren’t washed this will all just build up and be spread across your face with each use of the brush.

On a less clinical note, just using makeup brushes for a week causes insane build up on the bristles (goodbye white brushes) and therefore it is harder to control the amount of product being applied to the skin.

Make up brushes can be really expensive and should be treated like an investment – if you want them to last you need to take care of them.

It sounds like an effort and my friends told me my OCD tendencies are getting slightly out of hand but giving them a good wash every 2 weeks really does make such a difference to your application and besides, brushes look much prettier without the discolouration!

To get the best results you need something somewhere in between a soap (anti-bacterial) and a shampoo (conditioning), although for synthetic brushes just a soap would be fine. Personally I use Trish McEvoy’s purpose-designed Brush Bath which is a bit pricey at £13 but has lasted me for around 8 months so far and there’s still plenty left. A lot of the big makeup brands have their own versions, I’ve heard good things about MACs, but really all you need is something anti-bacterial and unfragranced.

Make sure the water you use on your brushes isn’t any hotter than ‘warm’ or you will risk melting the glue holding the hairs in place. I tend to dampen the brush, swirl the bristles in a small amount of cleaning product and rinse, repeating until the water runs clear and no bubbles remain. The colour of the water after just one week of using your brushes, particularly foundation/bronzer, should shock you into a regular routine!


Brushes are best left to air dry naturally, so after giving them a quick squeeze to remove excess water leave the heads hanging over the edge of a surface or stood upright in a pot so that they can reform their normal shape and in 2-6 hours (depending on the size) they should be dry and good to go.

I promise you will see such a difference in your makeup!

Percy 

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, I've learnt a few tips from this haha! But cleaning brushes is such a chore :(

    -Megan x
    http://blooms-of-beauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks glad it was helpful! Its definitely one of my staying-in-Friday's chore!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, I appreciate and reply to all comments 💕